Universalis

An SFX Musical

This is a belated post, and one I apologise for, because this wonderful event is so deserving of praise.

On December 22nd, I attended a concert at the Victoria Concert hall that was organised by the St. Francis Xavier Youth Choir. I am admittedly a great fan of the choir, but they truly outdid my expectations.

I can't remember all the songs they did but I remember especially their wonderous and rousing rendition of 'When you believe' from the movie Prince of Egypt, replete with the glorious Hebrew section in the middle. The first half of the concert included performances by several other choirs as well (Edward Baccharus Choir; Catholic High Choir; etc.).

The second half was to be something which I had not a clue about - a Musical. The only two other church "musicals" I have attended left me with mixed feelings about how it would turn out. However, whatever reservations I had were completely blown away by their excitingly choreographed and musically inspired rendition of the life and mission of St. Francis Xavier. In my opinion, no church musical should ever be staged from now on unless they are helmed by a choir.

Our very own John Goh played St. Francis, and the songs were beautifully written, beautifully original, and beautifully sung. The acting was simple and minimal, but that let the costumes, choreography and lyrics shine through. Simply superlative. My absolute congratulations to John, Dennis, and the choir; I believe St. Francis would have been proud of you. I know I am.

Article from CN: St. Francis Xavier’s 500th birth anniversary celebrated with sell out concert

SINGAPORE – In celebration of the 500th birth anniversary of its patron saint, the St. Francis Xavier Youth Choir staged its first public choral concert at the Victoria Concert Hall on Dec 22 last year. The Youth Choir also staged a colourful musical on the life of St. Francis Xavier titled “Hidden, I Will Show Him”.

The Edward Becheras Choir of Catholic High School and the Edward Becheras Vocale also lent their voices to the evening of spiritually-inspired music, which was attended by Archbishop Nicholas Chia and Archbishop Emeritus Gregory Yong. The Youth Choir’s mission is to bear witness to Christ through music and song.

Each year, it celebrates the anniversary of its patron saint with a concert in the hall of their parish of St. Francis Xavier. This year, however, as it is a milestone anniversary, parish priest Father Anthony Ho suggested having a public concert which also serves evangelisation purposes. The 880 tickets were snapped up just two weeks after they were put on sale.

The $16,500 raised from the ticket sales went to the Assisi Home and Hospice, as the Youth Choir’s aim for the concert was purely to use song to share the Word of God using the life of St. Francis Xavier as a role model.

The Youth Choir won its first Gold Award (Senior Youth Category) at the 21st Century International Choral Festival at Genting Highlands, Malaysia, in December 2003. It was set up 18 years ago under the director of Denis Leong, who is also the choirmaster of the Edward Becheras Choir.

No comments: